You're getting big, mama!
Towards the end of pregnancy (when a woman understandably is at her largest), it seems like the general population tends to hold back less in its “Wow, you’re big” comments. Honestly, I’m pretty much letting these things slide off me since I know that 1) it’s the nature of the beast 2) I’m carrying a whole baby in there, so yeah I’m big! and 3) people really do mean well [I think]. In any case, here is a little sampling of some of my favorites:
[A woman at work who I don’t usually see on a regular basis]
She: I don’t recognize you anymore! How much longer to go?
Me: About a month.
She: Ooohhh, okay [*pause*]… well you look like it.
*******
You’re getting big, mama!
*******
[When I was about 32-33 weeks along – out of a total of 40]
Both my daughter and daughter-in-law were not much bigger than you are when they gave birth.
*******
You’re still lugging that thing around?
*******
[My boss]
I didn’t realize they made button-down shirts for pregnant women.
*******
Are you trying to break the latest record for biggest baby?
[OK, I made up that last one, but it still amazes me that this woman in Indonesia recently gave birth to a 19 lb. baby boy!] (C-section, but still…) I. Can. Not. Even. Imagine.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/
*******
Things in general are going well these days. I’m sleeping as best I can, and although I AM experiencing some of the not-so-fun symptoms of late pregnancy, I’m okay with them because I know this time right now is precious and fleeting. The nursery is nearly complete, we’re getting our various packing and to-do lists compiled, but we’re also reminding ourselves not to focus entirely on these things. Tom & I are using excuses to go out to eat or see shows, since we will never again get this time back, and we might as well take advantage while we can.
I've been feeling incredibly blessed lately, having been showered with plenty of love and wishes at yet more baby showers! The St. Mary’s cathedral choir that I sing with had a very lovely party for me one Sunday, and then my colleagues completely surprised me one afternoon with a work shower! I was overjoyed with emotion and feelings of gratefulness after both these events, and can only hope to soon pass along those same feelings towards my own child.
Last, but definitely not least, Tom recently accomplished a major athletic feat, running the Portland Marathon in an impressive 2:59:47. Under 3-hours was his goal and he did it! In five-finger shoes! Wearing a backpack! Needless to say, we are very proud of him, and if the running genes align correctly then we’ll have our little munchkin competing in no time ;-)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home